REV. DR. SCHADE PROMOTED TO ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR

At its recent meeting, the Lexington Theological Seminary Board of Trustees approved a request to promote the Rev. Dr. Leah Schade from Assistant to Associate Professor.

In her scholarship and research, Dr. Schade has demonstrated a breadth and scope of high-quality work that is of a multidisciplinary character. She contributes her scholarship and unique gifts to the Church, the Academy, and in the public sphere (public theology). In her teaching, Dr. Schade is impressive in her ability to hone in on what is needed to prepare students for parish work and ministry. She is an oft-invited public speaker in varying venues such as regional workshops, churches, classrooms, and more. Her work in public theology has been noted through her blogs, webinars, and the advocacy work she does as chair of the Seminary’s Green Task Force. Her work as chair of the Seminary’s Pedagogy and Technology Committee has been exemplary. Shortly after she became chair of that committee, LTS was faced with the crisis of shifting from one LMS to another. Dr. Schade has been a constructive and collegial partner in the Master’s Committee, particularly in recent work on competency revisions.

Rev. Dr. Loida I. Martell, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean, applauded the appointment. “Dr. Schade is a rising scholar-teacher who has made a mark in her field of homiletics and in the lives of her students and their congregations with her pioneering work on deliberative dialogue, an attempt to cross the divisive lines that have so deeply affected churches and communities,” she said. “I celebrate with Dr. Schade the well-deserved professional accomplishment of her promotion to Associate Professor.”

“Dr. Schade brings the practical experience of serving a local church, a passion for creating a just and healthy place for all people, and a remarkable ability to communicate in a way that people of varying perspectives can hear and feel engaged,” said LTS Board of Trustees Chair Rev. Doug Lofton. “She is a blessing to our LTS community.”

Dr. Schade expressed her gratitude for her promotion. “I am grateful to my faculty colleagues, the staff and administration, the Board of Trustees, Vice President Martell, and President Gillett for affirming my scholarship, service, and teaching at Lexington Theological Seminary,” she said. “And to the students at LTS, I want to express my admiration for the faithfulness, steadfastness, and collegiality with which you all engage each other, your professors, your congregations, and the whole Seminary community. Moving to Lexington has been a blessing to me and my family, and I look forward to our continued partnership in teaching and learning, research, public theology, and the pursuit of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.”

The promotion is effective January 2022.

Congratulations, Dr. Schade!

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail