Seminary awards Presidential, Dean’s Scholarships

Lexington Theological Seminary has awarded scholarships – one well-established, one new – to two students.

Clayton Summers has been awarded the 2018-19 Presidential Scholarship. The LTS Scholarship Committee traditionally awards this full-tuition scholarship to a Master of Divinity student who shows promise both academically and in capacity for ministry.

Tamara (Tami) Buchanan was awarded the newly established Dean’s Scholarship, a four-year, 75-percent tuition endowed scholarship. The Committee selects a Master of Divinity student who demonstrates a record of past academic success and exceptional promise for a future in ministry for this scholarship.

Clayton earned his undergraduate degree in aerospace engineering from the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana in May 2017, graduating with honors. He began taking classes at LTS in July 2018. He is currently serving as student pastor at Christian Church of Arlington Heights in Illinois while also working full-time as a software engineer, creating a Web-based simulation tool. Clayton’s mother, Jackie Meece Summers, is an LTS grad, as is his grandfather, Bernie Meece.

When asked why he chose LTS, Clayton pointed out several aspects that appealed to him.

“LTS is a Disciples seminary, which is very important to my identity,” he said. “LTS’s online learning style is a format that I believe in wholeheartedly. Learning not only with peers but also from a congregation is invaluable. The flexibility of LTS allows me to go to seminary on a schedule that fits what is going in my life and my significant other’s life.”

Tami Buchanan is an M.Div. student currently serving Eastwood Christian Church in Nashville. After earning a bachelor’s degree in Integrated Study: Bible and Education from Lipscomb University, also in Nashville, she started working on her master’s degree in Christian ministry. But she felt called to something more, so she came to LTS with her sights set on getting her M.Div.

“I have been a preschool teacher for the past 11 years,” Tami said. “Before that I stayed at home and raised my family. I am currently discerning what my ministry is going to look like. I chose LTS because I liked the idea of the online program. When I was looking at seminaries, I kept coming back to the LTS Website. I first talked to someone from LTS at General Assembly in Indianapolis. After I got home, I kept feeling the pull that maybe this was actually where I needed to be.

“I am so thankful that I chose LTS,” she added. “I have already met so many wonderful people who challenge me to think outside my box and support me in this journey that I am just beginning. This scholarship is such an amazing gift.”

The mission of Lexington Theological Seminary is to prepare faithful leaders for the church of Jesus Christ and thus to strengthen the church’s participation in God’s mission for the world. The Seminary offers an online program that is competency-based and congregation-centered and reflects its commitment to prepare people for leadership in congregational ministry. To learn more, visit the Seminary’s website at www.lextheo.edu or contact Director of Admissions Erin Cash at (859) 280-1249 or ecash@lextheo.edu.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail