Theology on the Border: Dr. Askew to lead trip

Theology on the Border: The United States and Mexico led by Dr. Emily Askew January 30-February 5, 2015

Registration/Deposit deadline: December 15, 2014

Anticipated Cost*: $1500 (includes airfare to Tucson, AZ)

*See student budget breakdown below, which includes tuition for an intensive course

Please join me as we explore what immigration means first hand when we spend seven days on the US/Mexico border at Tucson/Nogales. On this intensive trip you will hear the stories of migration from those who are in the process of crossing or have been deported back, listen to faithful leaders discuss their work with migrants on both sides of the border, walk dirt migrant trails winding through dangerous desert vegetation , experience mass deportation hearings in Federal Court, interview public defenders, dance with migrant children, experience the bitter cold of the desert in winter, sleep on cement floors in migrant shelters, and push yourself emotionally, physically and spiritually in ways you never thought possible. In short you will experience for yourself the complex and painful story of what some refer to as “our national wound”, the US/Mexico border. –Dr. Emily Askew

When I signed up to go to the border I was not sure what to expect. Of course I had read the news and followed the various issues surrounding the border and immigration, but all of that did little to prepare me for what it actually meant to experience it all first hand. I feel a bit at a loss for words when it comes to describing my week living the issues. It is hard to put into words what it feels like to hold “holy trash” or walk the same paths that others have walked in desperation, hoping for a future different from the one they have walked so far to leave behind. I held the hands of young children in Mexico and wondered what my life would have been like had I been born somewhere other than small town America.  –Sarah, LTS student and previous trip participant

LTS Student Intensive Course Budget Breakdown

Tuition: $980.00 ($500 if student is DOC/UCC receiving the denominational scholarship)
Transportation: $750.00 Books & Fees: $750.00 Food Incidentals: $250.00
Est. Student Budget: $2,980.00

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail